Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ouch! That hurts! (or, Pop Country infection treated with the Thin Man from the West Plains)

I had the misfortune of having to hear not one but two modern pop country songs over the last couple of days as I was in establishments that had current country radio stations tuned in. Following the advice in my "Hank Williams Handbook of Medicine", I rushed home and self-medicated with some Porter Wagoner. So far, so good. Recovery is going nicely and my fever has broken. The Bill Anderson-penned "The Cold, Hard Facts of Life" went to #2 on the Billboard Country & Western chart for Porter in 1967.



Porter Wagoner died in 2007 only a few months after hitting 80. That same year, however, he released "Wagonmaster" on the Anti- label, which is a stellar cap (similar to how it was for Cash with the Rubin-produced American Recordings albums prior to his death) to a nice music career. Seek it out, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment