Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Discoveries that Make You Go 'Heck Yeah!' (Alejandro Escovedo edition)

This is the best music-related news of the week for me. I hadn't realized until a few days back that Alejandro Escovedo shows are on the Live Music Archive. So nice, so nice! Praise be to the various tubes of the internets! I wish there were more 1990's and early 2000's shows available, but hey, it is nice to have the 82 shows that are archived thus far for our listening pleasure. Unfortunately, none of the fifteen or so shows of Al's that I have seen are posted as of yet.



Man oh man, it has been too long since my last Escovedo show. I miss seeing him on a semi-regular basis at the Dingo Bar (long since shuttered) in Albuquerque and at the 7th St. Entry and 400 Bar in Minneapolis. I have also caught Al shows in Austin (SXSW, Waterloo Records, and Liberty Lunch), Houston (Mucky Duck), Atlanta (Variety Playhouse), San Antonio (Historic Sunset Station), and Santa Fe (The Paramount), as well as at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. Don't pass up the chance to see him if he comes to your town: here are his current tour dates.

Likewise, pick up an album or two of Al's if you don't have any already. You might start with his 2001 album "A Man Under the Influence, " the John Cale-produced "The Boxing Mirror" from 2006 which ranked #10 on my best of the 2000s list, or pick up his most recent release, 2008's "Real Animal".

No comments:

Post a Comment