Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Opening the Mailbag, Volume I

The emails have been streaming into our "Jams, Mofo" headquarters in recent days asking questions like: Why such a focus on older albums? Where are some references to newer releases? Etc. etc. I think this is a fair line of questioning. For the most part, my listening habits have been stuck in the 1960s to the 1990s for the last 7 or 8 weeks to compensate for how much 00s-era music I listened to in the waning weeks and months of 2009. I spent a lot of time listening to 2009 releases for my Best of 2009 list and the whole decade's music for my Best of 2000s list.

As a result, I have needed to spend some time digging around my vinyl, CD, and digital collections for some older stuff that I hadn't listened to since before mid-autumn. I expect that this trend of listening to older albums (the 70s in particular) will continue for the near future. That said, I have heard a dozen or so albums from 2010 and I will crank out a couple of capsule reviews of the new year’s disappointing (thus far) releases sometime soon.

Keep the emails coming. I have especially liked the haikus and the riddles, mofo.

No comments:

Post a Comment