Sunday, April 11, 2010

Today is a Day for "Don't Be a Stranger" by The Moondoggies (2008)


Free album track "Changing" from the band's record label, Hardly Art.

In the last week or so around Jams, Mofo headquarters, there hasn't been an album in heavier rotation than 2008's Don't Be a Stranger by The Moondoggies. I am going to go so far as to retroactively place this record on my Best of the 2000s album list in the honorable mention category. I like it that much. [APRIL 14th EDIT: I am still listening to this album 2X per day. Wow. This reviewer's sentiment captures what I have been thinking to myself this last week or so.]

This Seattle (by way of Everett) band is rumored to be releasing their 2nd album quite soon.  In addition, they are going to spend the month of June opening up for Blitzen Trapper.  I am looking foward to catching them in July at the 5-day Winnipeg Folk Festival. 

If you dig the cosmic cowboy sounds of the early 1970s, along with some Muscle Shoals-like chops, CSN harmonies, and/or modern day Seattle roots music sensibilities, The Moondoggies are for you. They kick out the jams, mofo.

Here is a short clip of them from SXSW a few weeks back:

The Moondoggies at Kayceman's Treehouse Party from Shane Tobin on Vimeo.

Here is Don't Be a Stranger on lala.com:


No comments:

Post a Comment